We live at a time in history where the masses under the banner of democracy hold high the “right and freedom” to practice and indulge in any form of sexual promiscuity and sexual orientation they desire. Let me quickly add that there are many who reject the greater call for the relaxation on all forms of restrictions when it comes to sex. One of the great problems we face in our modern world is that many who denounce such calls, themselves practice them or approve of such behaviour behind closed doors! I was looking for a “romance movie” to watch tonight with my wife and daughter. Even the age restriction of 13 had sexual content in it. Whatever the actual cause, be it “Woodstock, the Hippie era or Hollywood”, the present generation is polluted with “sex” being thrown at them (us) from all sides. If it is not the movies, it’s the news media broadcasting the views of some group of people demanding recognition for their peculiar or unique sexual orientation. If it’s not peer pressure it’s the adult store around the corner. If it’s not the abortion clinic, it’s those who coerce people into their sexual orientation. Be it in a store, busy intersection or church, watch both men and women as they size up the opposite sex up as they pass by. It seems as the sexual revolution from the 1960’s continues in power today in 2021! (Yes we are aware of the many sex laws in the Old Testament and all the instruction against sexual immorality in the New Testament. We do know of all the incest, adultery, fornication, homosexuality, bestiality and pedophilia throughout the Bible … much from the period just before and during the First Century). It’s like nothing has changed! Somethings don’t change from a Biblical perspective!
Ex 20:14 “You shall not commit adultery.”
What God said then is still valid today, irrespective what people say and want. Now it is true that the “world” will not change. Most likely things will become worse … for we are living in the “last days” … but for the people of God, His Word and His Will are not negotiable. We live in this world but we are no longer part of this world, therefore we need to live holy lives in obedience to God’s requirements and continue to become more Christ-like. So how does this Commandment relate to and affect Christians?
1) This Commandment covers all rules and laws associated with sex. Where we often tend to feel this Commandment relates to “adultery” … a married person having sex with someone other than the marriage partner, it actually covers and governs all sex laws, rules and commandments found in the Bible.
2) This Commandment reminds us of the constraints within a Biblical marriage. God’s design for marriage is monogamy. One man and one woman in a marital union for life. This Commandment forbids polygamy (one man and many wives0 and it forbids polyandry (one woman and many husbands). Many argue that the Old Testament permitted polygamy, but this is hard to prove because Jesus says
Mt 19:4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.”
Remember Jesus is God incarnate and He knows what He did in creating the man and the woman and bringing them together in Genesis 2:24-25. He says God joined the husband and the wife in a monogamous union for life. Any third party trying to or coming into this union is forbidden, with particular reference to sex.
3) This Commandment forbids divorce. If Jesus says … “let no man separate”. He speaks of a permanent union until death. Getting into and out of marriage easily for just about any reason is not permitted unless there is abuse, physical (hitting, etc.), emotional (words, threats, demands), sexual (force boarding on rape and rape), financial and food (taking money earned, starvation, not being able to purchase much needed personal items), isolation (prevention of meeting parents, siblings and friends), etc. Let me point out that all sin is forgivable by God and this should be so with us too … yet, when it comes to repetitive, habitual and pathological (chronic) sex outside of marriage as well as physical and emotional abuse, the offending party is breaking the marriage covenant and cannot expect the innocent party to live in that environment.
4) This Commandment forbids fornication. Where fornication was consider to be sex outside of marriage or before marriage, it actually covers premarital or extramarital sex, before or outside of marriage. That is precisely the point of:
Heb 13:4 “Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.”
Because sex is spiritual in nature, “premarital and extramarital sex” amounts to most of the problems in a marriage … and then, how often has a married man or woman engaging in extramarital sex brought home a Sexually Transmitted Disease (including HIV AIDS) and shared it with their spouse?
5) This Commandment forbids sexual lust. Where there is a healthy sexual union between the husband and the wife, there is no need to stray! What strays first? The eye!
Mt 5:27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”
As a man I understand the difficulty when women dress provocatively (and insist it’s not their fault the man falls into the lust trap) and a man looks. It’s hard to select a movies today because so often so called “innocent” movies have actors or actresses scantily dressed. But this includes the way women dress to go shopping, to work, to church, etc. Then into the fray comes pornography … another addictive vice. Lust is generated through seeing for the eye passes information to the brain and then it becomes all moggy and senseless. No conscience!
6) Perhaps lastly because of space … This Commandment forbids theft and covetousness. These are two Commandments we shall deal with, but for now … having sex with a married person or a single person is stealing. Stealing another person’s marital partner prompted by covetousness … I want what that person has! The treatment for all sexual immorality is Matthew 5:29-30 … radical treatment is needed.
O Lord my God, You require sexual purity in single and married people. Prevent me from straying and help me to pray for those who have done and are doing so, for Jesus sake. Amen.